Fluids and Filters
Is It Time for an Oil Change?
The oil in your car lubricates the engine and keeps all the parts running smoothly. Over time, the oil gets dirty, thick and sometimes even sludgy. You don’t want that flowing through and clogging up an expensive piece of machinery! You know you need an oil change when:
- You’ve driven more than 3,000 miles since your last oil change (check your vehicle manual for ideal miles driven between changes).
- It’s been a year since you’ve had your oil changed.
- Your oil level is low.
- Your oil, when you check the level, is dark black-brown on the stick.
Sherwood Auto Repair will choose the type of oil that’s best for your vehicle; usually as recommended by the manufacturer. With each oil change, Sherwood Auto Repair will also:
- Change the oil filter. Changing the filter keeps your oil cleaner longer.
- Inspect your air filter and recommend replacement only if needed.
- Check your vital fluid levels, such as battery water, automatic transmission fluid, coolant/antifreeze, and brake fluid.
Heating & Cooling
Is your car running hot?
Cooling system failure is the #1 cause of engine breakdowns on the highway. A little maintenance can go a long way to preventing a potentially expensive engine problem and a lot of inconvenience for you and your family.
Signs of Overheating
Keep an eye out for the following signs and symptoms; your car or truck may be telling you it needs a little cooling system care:
- Dashboard temperature gauge shows the car is in the red or running hot.
- Any colored fluid is leaking from the engine.
- Steam is coming from the engine.
- Car engine smells “hot”.
- Engine belts and hoses are more than 5 years old or are showing signs of wear, such as cracking.
- Auto manual recommends maintenance, such as replacement of anti-freeze.
At Sherwood Auto Repair, our ASE-certified master technicians will perform a professional inspection of the system and provide you with a complete analysis of the current conditions and the estimated cost of repair.
The Diagnosis and Service
So what might be causing your vehicle to overheat? It could be any one of many cooling system components. Here’s what we’ll check:
- Radiator cap
- Radiator hoses
- Radiator fan/fan clutch
- Anti-freeze and coolant (different vehicles take different types)
- Water pump
- Fan belts
- Serpentine belt
- Cooling sensor
- Heater core
- Heater hoses
Unlike many service shops that just perform a “drain-and-fill” of anti-freeze, Sherwood Auto Repair provides a complete radiator flushing service that includes the following:
- Inspect system and pressure test for leaks
- Add flush chemicals to the radiator
- Power flush system through flush machine
- Refill system with proper amount of recycled anti-freeze
- Add sealant/lubricant to the system
Schedule your appointment online or by phone today. Need towing?
Helping Keep Our Air Clean
If you need a DEQ check, Sherwood Auto Repair can take care of it. We perform DEQ inspections on all makes of vehicles utilizing our state-of-the-art MPSI 5 gas analyzer.
Chances are you need a smog check if:
- You’re renewing your vehicle (required every other year for vehicles older than 4 years)
- You’re registering the vehicle for the first time in the State of Oregon
- You’re selling your vehicle
- Your vehicle is not diesel powered, electric, natural gas powered and over 14,000 lbs, a hybrid, motorcycle, or trailer